If you’re a homeowner getting certain income related benefits you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:

your mortgage
loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

This help is paid as part of your benefit and is called Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI).

SMI is normally paid direct to your lender. You can’t get help towards the amount you borrowed – only the interest.